Tuesday, January 9, 2007

A Little Poker at Lunch

I usually go to a buddies apartment close to work at lunch to play X-Box and eat lunch. It’s better then sitting at our desk, or even the “diner” at work. Well today I forgot my controller so we figured we may as well play some on-line poker. I brought my Mac so I could play at Full-Tilt and he played at Paradise. We each did well in our respective Sit and Go’s. I earned second in a 9 person Turbo tourney and he won his 5 person tourney. Not a bad way to blow through our lunch break.

My buddies table was more challenging as well because he had to deal with a maniac on his left. It forced him to be more patient and wait for a killer hand. When the dust settled, he had to take the maniac heads-up and finished him off by some strong, aggressive pre-flop raises.

Things were pretty simple at my table. I got good hands when I needed them, played tight to get to the bubble and played aggressive once I got into the money. I have to admit that I did get super lucky when we were three handed. I had AJo and I raised. The short stack went all-in (which he had been doing quite a bit at this point) so I called. I had him covered so I figured this was my shot. He turned over Kings and I know I’m pretty much done. With no Ace on the flop I stopped paying attention until the chips got pushed to me. I ended up rivering a four, giving me a straight and taking the other player out. Yes, I got lucky, but I’m not going to apologize for it. It happens.


To finish it off, I hit a Jack on the flop, bet, was raised and went all-in with my JTs. My opponent flips over Aces and that’s it for me. Second place and I finished the tourney in 30 minutes, nice.